The Professional Issues Council (PIC) focuses on issues related to how the profession provides services to patients, how those services are reimbursed, and how the profession relates to state and local government. The PIC also enhances the work of the Academy chapters and special constituencies.
Chair – Jared Howell MS, CPO, FAAOP
Academy Chapters Committee
Chair – Jared A. Howell MS, CPO, FAAOP
Public Policy Committee
Chair – Mac McClellan CPO, LPO, FISPO, FAAOP (D)
The goal of the Public Policy Committee (PPC) is to provide the Academy with a formal platform upon which to formulate, evaluate, and act upon, public policy matters as they pertain to the orthotic and prosthetic profession. This committee will serve as the staging center for all Alliance and licensure-related activities, for the purpose of coordinating and centralizing the Academy’s message in these areas.
Women in Orthotics & Prosthetics Committee
Chair – Katie Johnson, CPO
Co-Chair – Shana Garland, CPO
The Women in Orthotics and Prosthetics Committee works to expand and improve educational and professional opportunities for women in or entering the O&P profession.
- Support professional growth and leadership for women in the field of orthotics and prosthetics
- Build a network and facilitate engagement between women in the field of orthotics and prosthetics
- Mentor, encourage, and develop young students, residents, and clinicians
- Advocate for career advancement and greater representation of women in leadership positions
- Identify education and training opportunities for members at all levels
- Provide a forum for members to seek advice on a variety of issues, including business and leadership challenges
- Celebrate excellence at all career levels for women in O & P
- Develop webinars/panel discussions biannually focusing on important concerns regarding women in O&P but also on topics that are related to the O&P field in a broader context.
- Host a networking social annually at the academy meeting to have experienced female practitioners meet and discuss topics with practitioners early in their career, creating relationships with members from around the country and world.
- Develop university/college chapters of Women in Orthotics and Prosthetics to initiate growth as leaders and support for members within the field as they progress through school and as clinicians.
- Promote conversation by posting forum discussions every 1 to 2 months on interesting and educational topics both related specifically to women and on broader O&P topics.
- Celebrate excellence in research in the field of orthotics and prosthetics and promoting women in research, awarding one female the Women in O & P scholarship.
Showcasing women leaders and women in specialty roles in our field with a spotlight of women every quarter
Chair – Elicha Roberts, MSOP Orthotic Resident
Co-Chair – Kathleen Carroll, MSPO, Orthotics Resident
The Student/Resident Committee facilitates opportunities for leadership and growth for O&P students and residents. The committee works to centralize efforts to enhance clinical applications, increase professional advocacy, establish opportunities for mentoring, create network resources, and address issues that are paramount for the development of a confident, knowledgeable practitioner.